Computer Lab Assistant
High School diploma. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field. Associate’s degree in Computer Technology from a technical or vocational school.
- Offers general consultations for people who are working or studying in the lab.
- Provides instruction to all lab users on proper use of all equipment.
- Consults supervisors on more difficult issues.
- Ensures that computer lab equipment is being cared for properly by users.
- Makes sure food and beverages are not consumed in close proximity to computers.
- Monitors files and programs that are downloaded on to the computers to make sure spyware, malware and other dangerous programs are not downloaded.
- Diagnoses hardware problems and fixes them or contacts the appropriate engineer to correct the problem.
- Files all reports required by the employer.
- Supplies reference materials to help users learn how to use particular programs.
- Conducts regular maintenance on the computers in the lab.
- Maintains inventory of supplies, places orders and records of maintenance activities.
- Performs regular software backups.
- Changes toner in printers, adds paper and otherwise ensures proper functioning of all printers in the lab.
- Sets up and shuts down the lab according to work hours.
- Guides lab users to safety in the event of a fire or other emergency.
- Knowledge of computer systems, hardware and various types of software.
- Must have the ability to effectively provide instruction to lab users.
- Knowledge of how to operate, maintain and care for printers, projectors, scanners, speakers and other equipment used in conjunction with computers.
- Knowledge of tests that must be performed on computers to maintain optimal function.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must have excellent reading comprehension skills.
- Must have exceptional complex problem solving skills.
- Must have strong organizational skills as well as effective time management abilities.
- Must have active listening skills.
- Must have excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills.